Inventory Unit Detail
2012 Kawasaki Ninja® 1000
From the earliest days of Japan Inc.’s legendary chokehold on the open-class streetbike category, Kawasaki has been right there, building motorcycles that have blown away the press, the public and nearly every performance record of note. From the original Z-1 to the ZZR®1200, these do-it-all motorcycles combined the power, handling, comfort and aesthetic appeal that repeatedly dominated their categories.
• 1,043cc inline-four with DFI® offers prodigious torque for effortless passing and backroads entertainment
• Lightweight aluminum frame is narrow and tuned to transmit optimal feedback to the rider
• Fully adjustable inverted fork has settings designed for sporty performance and ride quality
• Design of horizontal back-link rear suspension contributes to mass centralization
• Radial-mounted front brake calipers combine with the radial-pump front brake master cylinder to offer superb control and feel
• Sleek, supersport styling gives the Ninja® 1000 a distinctive look
• Relaxed, upright riding position contributes to all-day comfort
• Larger fuel capacity offers substantial range
• Windscreen is adjustable to three positions, allowing for optimum wind and weather protection
DOHC, 16-Valve, 1,043cc Engine
• Liquid-cooled inline-four offers true open-class power from idle to redline
• Easily accessible torque offers instant thrust for maximum rider satisfaction
• Bore and stroke dimensions of 77.0 x 56.0mm offer an ideal balance of peak power and low and mid-range flexibility
• 38mm Keihin throttle bodies cram the air/fuel mixture directly into combustion chambers via downdraft intakes for maximum power
• Oval sub-throttles help keep the engine slim, and a slim midsection allows an ideal bike/rider interface for maximum comfort and control
• Engine’s rev limiter comes into play “softly,” providing usable overrev character because power doesn’t drop off suddenly at high rpm
• The engine’s relatively low crankshaft position allows a moderately long stroke without adding engine height
• A secondary engine balancer, driven off a gear on the sixth web of the crankshaft, eliminates excess vibration and contributes to rider comfort
Cool Air System
• Intake system routes cool air to the airbox via ducts in the fairing, minimizing performance loss due to heated intake air
• Duct positioning – close to the rider – allows the intake howl to be heard and enjoyed
• Airbox resonator reduces noise at low rpm and enhances intake sound at higher revs
• The exhaust system features a 4-into-2-pre-chamber-into-2 layout. Silencer end caps maintain the quad-style image
• Main and pre-catalyzers ensure cleaner emissions
• Thanks to the under-engine pre-chamber, silencer volume is reduced, and silencer weight is low. Exhaust system offers excellent mass centralization and contributes to a low center of gravity
Slim-Type Fuel Pump
• Slim-type fuel pump features an integral fuel gauge
• Fuel tank design and slim-type fuel pump minimizes dead volume inside the tank; fuel capacity is 5.0 gallons
• Supersport-style full-fairing bodywork gives the Ninja 1000 a distinctive, head-turning look, and also offers plenty of wind and weather protection for short-tour ability
• The fairing’s slat-style leading edges direct wind around the bike, allowing the fairing to be narrower at the middle
• The fairing flares at the rear, keeping hot engine air off the rider’s legs
• Front turn signals are integrated into the fairing and are attached to the inside of the fairing with rubber mounts that minimize damage if the bike falls over
• ZX-6R-spec front fender contributes to excellent aerodynamics and racy looks
• Slim and compact tail cowl moves mass physically and visually toward the front of the bike
• LED taillight features red bulbs and a red transparent lens
• Slim rear fender gives the bike a light-looking rear end
• Windscreen is manually adjustable for optimum wind/weather protection
• Windscreen has three available positions spanning approximately 20 degrees and ranging from sporty to maximum wind protection. Adjustment can be done by hand (no tools required) by depressing the release button below the instrument panel. Windscreen adjustment should always be done with the bike stopped
Aluminum Backbone Frame
• Aluminum backbone frame is similar in concept to the Ninja ZX-10R’s, and helps make the bike narrow and easy to grip with the knees for maximum rider comfort and feedback
• The frame is lightweight and highly rigid, and uses the engine as a stressed member for solid handling and optimum stability
• Frame elements are tuned to transmit optimal engine feedback to the rider
• The frame’s five-piece construction consists of steering stem, left and right main frames, and two cross pieces. The two main frame components have open C-shaped cross sections
• Welds were eliminated wherever possible for simplicity and appearance; the frame beams and swingarm brackets are single die-cast pieces
• The new frame uses four engine mounts, three of which are rigid, one of which (the upper rear crankcase mount) is rubber
• Rear subframe is a three-piece aluminum die-casting assembly that’s light, strong and optimizes mass centralization
• The sub-frame is an example of form and function combined, negating the need for side covers and allowing underseat narrowness for a shorter reach to the ground
Horizontal Back-Link Rear Suspension
• All-new rear suspension design positions the shock unit and linkage above the swingarm where it’s less exposed to exhaust heat and contributes to mass centralization
• Visible from the outside, the horizontal monoshock contributes to the Ninja 1000’s ultra-sporty appearance
• Linkage characteristics are the same as those of a standard Uni-Trak® system: Wheel movement versus shock stroke is the same ratio
• The shock features stepless rebound damping and spring preload adjustability for a custom-tuned ride
Fully Adjustable 41mm Fork
• The Ninja 1000’s inverted fork is adjustable for compression damping, rebound damping and spring preload – and is protected from harm by a cool-looking shroud
• Settings are designed for both sporty performance and ride quality
• Separate, raised handlebars contribute to the sporty, comfortable riding position; bar stays are mounted to the fork tube tops, which extend above the top clamp
• A thick urethane seat provides a high level of rider and passenger comfort
• Tapered-type grips, like those used on supersport models, offer a more direct feel
• Ninja ZX-10R-style footpegs with knurled surfaces offer secure grip, direct feel and control, and no-nonsense looks
• The passenger footpeg brackets incorporate convenient luggage hooks
• Sporty instrument panel features a large analog tachometer and multi-function LCD screen. It’s a design based on the ZX-6R’s unit, but which features original graphics and coloring
• Functions include speedometer, tachometer, fuel gauge, odometer, clock, dual trip meters and warning lamps
• Hazard switch located on left bar pod
• 300mm front petal-type brake discs are gripped by opposed four-piston radial-mount calipers. (Caliper piston size is 4x30mm)
• A radial-pump front brake master cylinder contributes to the superb control and feel offered by these high-end calipers
• The rear brake is a single-piston, pin-slide caliper gripping a 250mm petal-type disc. The caliper is mounted below the swingarm, and located by a torque rod
Large-Volume Fuel Tank
• Five-gallon (19L) fuel tank offers substantial range
• Steel construction facilitates use of magnetic tank bag
• Tank shape (flared edges and a trim shape at the back) allows riders to easily grip tank with their knees
- Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, inline-four
- Displacement: 1,043cc
- Bore x Stroke: 77.0 x 56.0 mm
- Compression Ratio: 11.8:1
- Fuel System: DFI® with four 38 mm Keihin throttle bodies, oval sub-throttles
- Ignition: TCBI with digital advance
- Transmission: Six-speed
- Final Drive: X-ring Chain
- Rake/Trail: 24.5 deg. / 4.0 in.
- Front Tire Size: 120/70 ZR17
- Rear Tire Size: 190/55 ZR17
- Wheelbase: 56.9 in.
- Front Suspension / wheel travel: 41 mm inverted cartridge fork with stepless compression and rebound damping, adjustable spring preload / 4.7 in.
- Rear Suspension / wheel travel: Horizontal monoshock with stepless rebound damping, adjustable spring preload / 5.4 in.
- Front Brakes: Dual 300 mm petal-type rotors with radial-mount four-piston calipers
- Rear Brakes: Single 250 mm petal-type rotor with single-piston caliper
- Fuel Capacity: 5.0 gal.
- Seat Height: 32.3 in.
- Curb Weight: 502.7 lb.
- Overall length: 82.9 in.
- Overall width: 31.1 in.
- Overall height: 48.4 in.
- Color Choices: Metallic Spark Black / Metallic Flat Micron Gray, Candy Lime Green / Ebony
- Warranty: 12 Months
- Good Times™ Protection Plan: 12, 24, 36, 48 months
- Engine Type
- Four-stroke, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, inline-four
- 1,043 cc
- Bore and Stroke
- 77.0 x 56.0 mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- DFI® with four 38 mm Keihin throttle bodies, oval sub-throttles
- TCBI with digital advance
- Front Suspension
- 41 mm inverted cartridge fork with stepless compression and rebound damping, adjustable spring preload / 4.7 in.
- Rear Suspension
- Horizontal monoshock with stepless rebound damping, adjustable spring preload / 5.4 in.
- Front Brakes
- Dual 300 mm petal-type rotors with radial-mount four-piston calipers
- Rear Brakes
- Single 250 mm petal-type rotor with single-piston caliper
- Front Tire
- 120/70 ZR17
- Rear Tire
- 190/55 ZR17
- 56.9 in.
- Seat Height
- 32.3 in.
- 24.5 deg.
- 4.0 in.
- Fuel Capacity
- 5.0 gal.
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 502.7 lb.
- Final Drive
- X-ring Chain
- Standard: Analog
- Metallic Spark Black / Metallic Flat Micron Gray, Candy Lime Green / Ebony
- 12 Months